Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Rehearsing with no effects

I play the guitar in my band and when we play a gig, I use a few different stomp boxes. They are: compressor, micro-amp, distortion, tremelo and echo. These pedals come in handy when I'm trying to create a vibe or make the note take a different kind of life. Lately, in rehearsal, I've been plugging directly into my amp using no stomps boxes. There is definitely something to be said about plugging into an amp, turning it up to its sweet spot and playing. In rehearsal I use a low wattage amp (12 watts) and it breaks up pretty nicely at a reasonable volume. However, when you're used to using stomp boxes it can be a challenge to play naked. I don't know if it's more enjoyable to play directly plugged into the amp but it definitely is a good work out. I find myself forced to play with more definition and less flash. I think that's a good thing. I haven't put the stomp boxes away but I do try to use them more judiciously and try to get more out of the fingers, strings and amp.

No comments: